How to Warm Up Before Acting
- Yawn! It’s great for opening your throat up to get ready to talk.
- Roll your head from side to side to loosen your neck.
- Pull a really funny face – as big as you can!
- Scrunch your face up as small as you can – like you have just sucked on a lemon.
- Breathe! Do this exercise twice: Breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, breathe out for 4 counts, breathe in for 2 counts, breathe out for 2 outs.
- Do some Tongue Twisters. My favourites are Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Hello Happy Halloween and Double Double Bubble Gum.
- Practice your vowel sounds. Say each one about 10 times. Ho Ho Ho, Hi HI HI, Hey Hey Hey, He He He.
- Shake your whole body. Go crazy! Shake it out!
- Stretch your arms up high then reach as far as you can from side to side. Repeat a few times.
- Rag Doll! Be a rag doll – bend over all floppy with your finger tips brushing the floor.
- Finally Centre Yourself. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, Pull up, standing straight and roll your shoulders down and back. Balance your head being careful not to thrust your chin forward.